Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ship Breaker Cont....

Today I read a little more of the Ship Breaker and reached a part where the main character Nailer came home after a really bad day working in the ship to his drunk father who attempted to instigate whatever conflict Nailer would throw at him. Nailer avoided saying anything that his father could use against him and got to go to sleep without any major drama. What really got me, though, was that in the middle of his father's prying at him to try and get him to budge, Nailer contemplated making a run for it.......away from his own father. Now I understand that this isn't all that rare with kids that have strained relationships with their parents, but I have trouble imagining it actually happening. I mean I get upset with my parents, all the time actually, but I never actually fear for my safety. I'd like to think that I'm quite close with them and one of the reasons is that we have such an open relationship with each other, we're constantly joking around with each other and, for the most part, know that I can come to them with anything if I really need to. It's a really good balance of friendship and authority, a balance that I'd like to instill in my household when I'm older and married. I have friends though that don't even see their parents for days at a time or even talk to them for that matter. I can't even imagine the kind of person I'd be if that were the case....

No comments:

Post a Comment